"DuPont Washington Works rests on the banks of the Ohio River in Wood County, West Virginia on a tract of river bottom land conveyed to George Washington by Lord Dunmore in 1772. In 1945, DuPont purchased the land and construction was soon underway. Initial operations were started in January, 1948 with 171 employees who produced 1,782 pounds of nylon filament during the first month."
"While the plant itself is situated inside a 200-acre fenced complex, DuPont owns about 1500 additional acres in the Mid-Ohio Valley. With the DuPont corporation, Washington Works holds the distinction of being the only U.S. plant site of having a state park reside on plant property. The Blennerhassett Island State Park occupies the upper 1/3 of an Ohio River island adjacent to the plant. The State of West Virginia leases part of the island from DuPont. The park, rich in historical significance, is host to more than 40,000 visitors each year."
Source: DuPont Washington Works